Group for Thin Film Optics
Metal island films show unique optical properties due to the surface plasmon resonance (SPR) of electrons in metal clusters. They have found applications in biological and chemical sensors, waveguides and absorbers. Varying the conditions in preparation of these films, the structural and geometrical properties of the clusters can be varied, enabling tuning of optical properties of the films.
Electric field assisted dissolution (EFAD) of metal clusters, involving instantaneous application of electric field and increased temperature enables structuring of such films. Three dimensional photonic microstructures are produced by the locally selective EFAD of metal clusters embedded in dielectric multilayer stacks. The produced structures show a highly tailorable optical behaviour that combines the interferential effects of multilayer stacks and the SPR of nondissolved metal clusters. This approach represents a promising method for the production of novel components based on 3D-metallodielectric photonic structures that can be applied for protection against forgery or realization of metamaterials.
Researchers in the Group for Thin Tilm Optics
2008 - present: Project “Optical properties of nanostructured layers”, financed by Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, involves intense work on metal island films.
- J. Sancho-Parramon, Near-field coupling of metal nanoparticles under tightly focused illumination, Optics Letters, 36 (2011) 3257-3259.
- J. Sancho-Parramon, V. Janicki, H. Zorc, On the dielectric function tuning of random metal-dielectric nanocomposites for metamaterial applications, Optics Express, 18 (2010) 26915-26928.
- V. Janicki, J. Sancho-Parramon, F. Peiró J. Arbiol, Three-dimensional photonic microstructures produced by electric field assisted dissolution of metal nanoclusters in multilayer stacks,Applied Physics B: Laser and Optics 89 (2010) 93-98.
- J. Sancho-Parramon, Surface plasmon resonance broadening of metallic particles in quasi-static approximation: a numerical study of size confinement and interparticle interaction effects, Nanotechnology 20 (2009) 235706-1-235706-7.
- J. Sancho-Parramon, V. Janicki, J. Arbiol, H. Zorc, F. Peiro, Electric field assisted dissolution of metal clusters in metal island films for photonic heterostructures, Applied Physics Letters 92 (2008) 163108-1-163108-3.