Pomoćni objekt 2/8
Quantum Organic Chemistry Group
Division of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry
Ruđer Bošković Institute
CV-1.pdf 257.98 kB
B. Sc. in Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, 1995.
M. Sc. in Organic Chemistry, University of Zagreb, 1999.
Ph. D. in Theoretical Chemistry, University of Zagreb, 2001.
A combined computational chemistry and mass spectrometry approach for improved detection of endogenous metabolites in living organisms, (DAAD 2013/2014.).
Awards and Achievements
Croatian state annual award for science, awarded for design of strong organic bases and proton sponges, 2003.
Lavoslav (Leopold) Ružička Award of the Croatian Chemical Society for Young Scientists, 2004.
Grant from the National Foundation for Science, Higher Education and Technological Development of the Republic of Croatia for 12 months stay at the University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
1. B. Kovačević and Z. B. Maksić, "Basicity of some organic superbases in acetonitrile", Org. Lett. 3 (2001) 1523.
2. Z. B. Maksić and B. Kovačević, "The proton affinity of the superbase 1,8-Bis (tetramethylgtlanidino)naphthalene (TMGN) and some related compounds – a theoretical study" Chem. Eur. J. 8 (2002) 1694.
3. B. Kovačević, Z. Glasovac, Z. B. Maksić, "The intramolecular hydrogen bond and intrinsic proton affinity of neutral organic molecules: N,N,N–tris-(3aminopropyl)guanidine and some related systems" J. Phys. Org. Chem (2002) 765.
4. B. Kovačević, D. Barić and Z. B. Maksić "Basicity of exceedingly strong non-ionic organic bases in acetonitrile – Verkade's superbase and some related phosphazenes" New J. Chem. (2004) 284.
5. B. Kovačević, M. Rožman, L. Klasinc, D. Srzić, Z. B. Maksić, M. Yanez, “Gas phase structure of protonated histidine and histidine methyl ester – a combined experimental mass spectrometry and theoreticalab initiostudy” J. Phys. Chem. A 109 (2005) 8329.
6. V. Raab, E. Gauchenova, A. Merkeulov, K. Harms, J. Sundermeyer, B. Kovačević, Z. B. Maksić “1,8-bis(hexamethyl-triamino-phosphazenyl)naphthalene, HMPN: a superbasic biophosphazene proton sponge” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127 (2005) 15738.
7. B. Kovačević, Z. B. Maksić “High basicity of phosphorus – proton affinity of tris-(tetramethylguanidinyl)phosphine and tris-(hexamethyltriaminophosphazenyl)phosphine by DFT calculations” Chem. Comm. (2006), 1524.
8. B. Kovačević, Z. B. Maksić ”High basicity of tris-(tetramethylguanidinyl)-phosphine imide in the gas phase and acetonitrile – a DFT study” Tetrahedron Lett. 47, (2006) 2553..
9. B. Kovačević, I. Despotović, Z. B. Maksić, “In Quest of Strong Neutral Organic Bases and Superbases - Supramolecular Systems Containing Four Pyridine Subunits”, Tetrahedron Letters 48 (2007) 261.
10. I. Despotović, B. Kovačević, Z. B. Maksić, “Hyperstrong Neutral Organic Bases: Phosphazeno azacalix(2, 6)pyridines”, Organic Letters. 9 (2007) 4709.
11. G. M. Sandala, B. Kovačević, D. Barić, D. M. Smith, L. Radom, “On the Reaction of Glycerol Dehydratase and But-3-ene-1,2-diol”, Chem. Eur. J. 15, (2009) 4865.
12. Z. B. Maksić, B. Kovačević, R. Vianello "Advances in Determining the Absolute Proton Affinities of Neutral Organic Molecules in the Gas Phase and Their Interpretation: A Theoretical Account.'' Chem. Rev. 112, (2012), 5240.
Membership in professional associations / societies
• Croatian Chemical Society (leader of the Section for Theoretical and Computational Chemistry)
• Croatian Society for Theoretical and Mathematical Biology