Project PI, Sanja Frka presented an overview of the scientific background, overall project team, vision and mission, project design and methodology, and the working plan of the entire project.
BiREADI project with its scientific mission, defined goals and the overall project design offers a state-of-the-art research, addressing a highly relevant and the most pressing issues in global climate today.
A phased approach is presented:
- Phase I - to evaluate concentrations, sources and deposition fluxes of atmospheric constituents, and to get insight into the nature of its enrichments within the sea surface layers;
- Phase II - to assess the impact of ambient atmospheric deposition from diverse sources on natural plankton population, and consequently on the chemistry of the sea surface layers;
- Phase III - to get insight into the mechanisms by which atmospheric deposition affects phytoplankton, but also to assess the toxic effects of atmospheric pollutants that can interact synergistically on various levels of biological organisation in aquatic systems;
- Phase IV - to better understand the nature of biogenic OM variabilities within the aqueous surface layers affected by AD inputs with the consequences on the surface film formation and properties.
Highly skilled scientists are a major engine driving the scientific research addressed by the BiREADI project. The project team is constituted of 14 interdisciplinary experts from 7 laboratories within 4 respectable Croatian institutions:
- Ruđer Bošković Institute from Division from the Division for Marine and Environmental Research
- Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries
- Institute for Medical Research and Occupational Health from Environmental Hygiene Unit
- Meteorological and Hydrological Service in Croatia from Air Quality Modelling, Research and Applications Department.
All project collaborators attended the meeting and presented the overview of the activities they are in charge. Meeting also included a discussion section on the detail working plan and activities of the first project year.
Slađana Strmecki Kos has presented the activities related to the project website design as the project logo was presented as well. The first joint photos of the project team were created.