Ruđer Bošković Institute
- 1994: B.Sc. in Meteorology, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- 1998: M.Sc. in Physical Oceanography, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- 2002: Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Croatia
CURRENT PROJECTS AND PROGRAMMES
- 2021-: Using stochastic surrogate methods for advancing towards reliable meteotsunami early warning systems, ECMWF Special Project, project leader
- 2021-: Numerical modelling of the Adriatic-Ionian decadal and inter-annual oscillations: from realistic simulations to process-oriented studies, ECMWF Special Project, researcher
- 2020-: Bivalves: Archives of environmental change in the coastal marine ecosystems (BivACME), Croatian Science Foundation, researcher
- 2019-: Middle Adriatic upwelling and downwelling (MAUD), Croatian Science Foundation project, consultant
FINISHED PROJECTS AND PROGRAMMES
- 2019-2021: Coastal Autopurification Assessment Technology (CAAT), Programme IRI2017 „Investment in Research and Innovation“ – EU Structural Funds, researcher
- 2019-2021: Integrated hydrographic system for sustainable development of the marine ecosystem (HIDROLAB), Programme IRI2017 „Investment in Research and Innovation“ – EU Structural Funds, IOF coordinator
- 2019-2021: Adaption booster for climate change (RESPONSe), Interreg Croatia-Italy programme, researcher
- 2019-2021: Ecological observing System in the Adriatic Sea: oceanographic observations for biodiversity (ECOSS), Interreg Croatia-Italy programme, IOF coordinator
- 2019-2021: Climate challenges on coastal and transitional changing environments: Weaving a cross-Adriatic response (CHANGE WE CARE), Interreg Croatia-Italy programme, IOF coordinator
- 2017-2021: The Adriatic decadal and interannual oscillations: observations, modelling and consequences (ADIOS), Croatian Science Foundation, Principal Investigator
- 2016-2021: BLUEMED, Horizon 2020 project, Coordinated and Support Action, IOF coordinator
- 2015-2019: Sclerochronology as a tool for detecting long-term Adriatic environmental changes (SCOOL), Croatian Science Foundation, researcher
- 2015-2017: Meteotsunamis, destructive long ocean waves in the tsunami frequency band: from observations and simulations towards a warning system (MESSI), UKF Fund project, researcher
- 2015-2017: Praćenje potencijalno opasnih oscilacija razine mora i njihov doprinos poplavama obalnih područja u budućoj klimi (POZOR), Fund for Environment and Energetic Efficiency, researcher
- 2014-2017: Bio-tracing Adriatic water masses (BIOTA), Croatian Science Foundation Installation Grant, consultant
- 2013-2017: Towards an alliance of European research fleets (EUROFLEET-II), FP7 project, researcher
- 2013-2015: Strengthening common reaction capacity to fight sea pollution of oil, toxic and hazardous substances in Adriatic Sea (HAZADR), IPA CBC Adriatic project, researcher
- 2011-2015: Policy-oriented marine environmental research for the Southern European Seas (PERSEUS), FP7 project, researcher
- 2013-2015: Interpreting and forecasting Adriatic surface currents by an artificial brain (NEURAL), UKF Fund project, Principal Investigator
- 2007-2013: Investigations and monitoring systems for the unusual Adriatic dynamics, national research grant 001-0013077-1122, project leader
- 2007-2013: The role of the planktonic communities in the energy and substance cycles in the Adriatic Sea, national research grant 001-0013077-0845, researcher
- 2011-2013: Towards a meteotsunami warning system along the U.S. coastline (TMEWS), NOAA/NWS USA Department of Commerce grant NA11NWS4670005, Principal Investigator
- 2006-2011: Southern European Seas: Assessing and Modelling Ecosystem Changes (SESAME), EU FP6 project, researcher
- 2009-2010: Application of advanced algorithms in operational oceanography (IP-OCEAN), national IT project, project manager
- 2007-2008: North Adriatic Surface Current Mapping (NASCUM), Croatian-Italian project Interreg IIIa, researcher
- 1998-2008: Project ADRIATIC, national monitoring programme, researcher
- 2005-2007: Internal Tidal Hydrodynamics and Ambient Characteristics of the Adriatic (ITHACA) - bilateral USA-Croatian project, researcher
- 2003-2006: Atmosphere-Adriatic system, national research grant 0119330, researcher
- 2004-2006: Structural and trophic changes in the Adriatic shelf pelagial, national research grant 0001001, researcher
- 2005-2006: ADRICOSM EXTension, multilateral project of the Adriatic countries, researcher
- 2001-2005: European Sea Level Service – Research Infrastructure (ESEAS-RI), EU FP5 funded project, researcher and coordinator for Hydrographic Institute
- 2004-2005: Weather and climate of the Adriatic Sea, national IT project, project manager
- 2003-2004: A course in oceanography, national IT project, project manager
- 2001-2004: East Adriatic Circulation Experiment (EACE) – bilateral American-Croatian project, researcher
- 2001-2002: Adriatic sea level and tides on-line, national IT project, project leader
- 2000-2001: Sea level in the northern Adriatic - phenomenological aspects and modelling, bilateral Italian-Croatian project, researcher
Awards and Achievements
- 1999: National Young Scientist Award in the field of Natural Sciences
- 2002: Ferruccio Mosetti Prize, Honorable Mention
- 2012: National Scientist Award in the field of Natural Sciences
Denamiel, C., Pranić, P., Quentin, F., Mihanović, H., Vilibić, I., 2020. Pseudo-global warming projections of extreme wave storms in complex coastal regions: the case of the Adriatic Sea. Climate Dynamics, 55, 2483-2509.
Denamiel, C., Tojčić, I., Vilibić, I., 2020. Far future climate (2060–2100) of the northern Adriatic air–sea heat transfers associated with extreme bora events. Climate Dynamics, 55, 3043-3066.
Medvedev, I., Vilibić, I., Rabinovich, A.B., 2020. Tidal resonance in the Adriatic Sea: Observational evidence. Journal of Geophysical Research Oceans, 125, e2020JC016168
Ciglenečki, I., Vilibić, I., Dautović, J., Vojvodić, V., Ćosović, B., Zemunik, P., Dunić, N., Mihanović, H., 2020. Dissolved organic carbon and surface active substances in the northern Adriatic Sea: Long-term trends, variability and drivers. Science of the Total Environment, 730, 139104.
Denamiel, C., Šepić, J., Huan, X., Vilibić, I., 2020. Uncertainty propagation using polynomial chaos expansions for extreme sea level hazard assessment: the case of the eastern Adriatic meteotsunamis. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 50, 1005-2021.
Janeković, I., Mihanović, H., Vilibić, I., Grčić, B., Ivatek-Šahdan, S., Tudor, M., Djakovac, T., 2020. Multi-platform 4D-Var data assimilation for improving the Adriatic Sea dynamics. Ocean Modelling, 146, 101538. doi: 10.1016/j.ocemod.2019.101538.
Denamiel, C., Šepić, J., Huan, X., Bolzer, C., Vilibić, I., 2019. Stochastic surrogate model for meteotsunami early warning system in the eastern Adriatic Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research Oceans, 124, 8485-8499.
Vilibić, I., Zemunik, P., Šepić, J., Dunić, N., Marzouk, O., Mihanović, H., Denamiel, C., Precali, R., Djakovac, T., 2019. Present-climate trends and variability in thermohaline properties of the northern Adriatic shelf. Ocean Science, 15, 1351–1362.
Peharda, M., Walliser, E.O., Markulin, K., Purroy, A., Uvanović, H., Janeković, I., Župan, I., Vilibić, I., Schöne, B.R., 2019. Glycymeris pilosa (Bivalvia) – A high-potential geochemical archive of the environmental variability in the Adriatic Sea. Marine Environmental Research, 150, 104759.
Peharda, M., Vilibić, I., Black, B., Uvanović, H., Markulin, K., Mihanović, H., 2019. A network of bivalve chronologies from semienclosed seas. PLoS ONE, 14, e0220520.
Denamiel, C., Šepić, J., Ivanković, D., Vilibić, I., 2019. The Adriatic Sea and coast modelling suite: Evaluation of the meteotsunami forecast component. Ocean Modelling, 135, 71-93.
Biolchi, S., Furlani, S., Devoto, S., Scicchitano, G., Korbar, T., Vilibić, I., Šepić, J. 2019. Origin and dynamics of coastal boulders in a semi-enclosed shallow basin: a Northern Adriatic case study. Marine Geology, 411, 62-77.
Dunić, N., Vilibić, I., Šepić, J., Mihanović, H., Sevault, F., Somot, S., Waldman, R., Nabat, P., Arsouze, T., Pennel, R., Jordà, J., Precali, R. 2019. Performance of multi-decadal ocean simulations in the Adriatic Sea. Ocean Modelling, 134, 84-109.
Vilibić, I., Šepić, J., Dunić, N., Sevault, F., Monserrat, S., Jordà, G., 2018. Proxy-based assessment of strength and frequency of meteotsunamis in future climate. Geophysical Research Letters, 45, 10501-10508.
Peharda, M., Vilibić, I., Black, B.A., Markulin, K., Dunić, N., Džoić, T., Mihanović, H., Gačić, M., Puljas, S., Waldman, R., 2018. Using bivalve chronologies for quantifying environmental drivers in a semi-enclosed temperate sea. Scientific Reports, 8, 5559.
Vilibić, I., Mihanović, H., Janeković, I., Denamiel, C., Poulain, P.-M., Orlić, M., Dunić, N., Dadić, V., Pasarić, M., Muslim, S., Gerin, R., Matić, F., Šepić, J., Mauri, E., Kokkini, Z., Tudor, M., Kovač, Ž., Džoić, T., 2018. Wintertime dynamics in the coastal northeastern Adriatic Sea: the NAdEx 2015 experiment. Ocean Science, 14, 237-258.
Vilibić, I., Šepić, J. Pasarić, M., Orlić, M., 2017. The Adriatic Sea: A long-standing laboratory for sea level studies. Pure and Applied Geophysics, 174, 3765-3811.
Vilibić, I., Šepić, J., 2017. Global mapping of nonseismic sea level oscillations at tsunami timescales. Scientific Reports, 7, 40818.
Šepić, J., Vilibić, I., Monserrat, S., 2016. Quantifying the probability of meteotsunami occurrence from synoptic atmospheric patterns. Geophysical Research Letters, 43, 10377-10384.
Vilibić, I., Šepić, J., Rabinovich, A.B., Monserrat, S., 2016. Modern Approaches in meteotsunami research and early warning. Frontiers in Marine Science, 3, 57.
Vilibić, I., Mihanović, H., Janeković, I., Šepić, J., 2016. Modelling the formation of dense water in the northern Adriatic: sensitivity studies. Ocean Modelling, 101, 17-29.
Vilibić, I., Šepić, I., Mihanović, H., Kalinić, H., Cosoli, S., Janeković, I., Žagar, N., Jesenko, B., Tudor, M., Dadić, V., Ivanković, D., 2016. Self-Organizing Maps-based ocean currents forecasting system. Scientific Reports, 6, 22924.
Membership in professional associations / societies
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- European Geosciences Union (EGU)
- Commission Internationale pour l'Exploration Scientifique de la mer Méditerranée (CIESM)
- International Association for the Physical Sciences of the Oceans (IAPSO)
STUDENTS AND POSTDOCS
- Sara Medak, undergraduate student training, 2020-
- Iva Tojčić, PhD student, 2020-
- Petra Pranić, PhD student, 2019-
- Petra Zemunik, PhD student, 2018-
- Clea Denamiel, postdoctoral researcher, 2017-2020
- Cyril Diamantopoulos, undergraduate student training, 2017
- Mehdi Guebba, undergraduate student training, 2017
- Celia Bolzer, undergraduate student training, 2017
- Oussama Marzouk, undergraduate student training, 2017
- Sebastien Delort, undergraduate student training, 2016
- Khady Mbow, undergraduate student training, 2016
- Natalija Dunić, PhD student, 2015-2019, postdoctoral researcher, 2020-
- Nicolas Buisson, undergraduate student training, 2015
- Romain Leppe, undergraduate student training, 2015
- Amaury Lafon, undergraduate student training, 2014
- Loïc Macheboeuf, undergraduate student training, 2014
- Hrvoje Kalinić, postdoctoral researcher, 2014-2016
- Hrvoje Mihanović, postdoctoral researcher, 2014-2016
- Natalija Dunić, undergraduate student, 2012-
- Simon Pasquet, postdoctoral researcher, 2012
- Jeremie Rotier, undergraduate student training, 2012
- Remi Marchand, undergraduate student training, 2012
- Nikolina Rako, PhD student, 2011-
- Jadranka Šepić, PhD student, 2007-2015, postdoctoral researcher, 2015
- Nicolas Proust, undergraduate student training, 2011
- Francois Charrayre, undergraduate student training, 2011
- Zoran Adam Gaxotte, undergraduate student training, 2009
- Lydie Denis, undergraduate student training, 2008
ORGANISATION OF CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
- The 12th HyMeX Workshop, 20-24 May 2019, Split, Croatia, Chair of the Organising Committee
- The First World Conference on Meteotsunamis, 8-11 May 2019, Split, Croatia, Chair of Science and Organising Committee
- Meteotsunamis and High-Frequency Sea-Level Phenomena of Meteorological Origin, AGU Fall Meeting Session, San Francisco, USA, 3-7 December 2012, Lead Convener
- International Symposium on 80th Anniversary of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries: Towards the Excellence in Oceanography and Fisheries, Split, 21-22 October 2010, Organisation Committee member
- International Symposium on Meteotsunamis: 30th Anniversary of the Great Flood of Vela Luka on 21 June 1978, Vela Luka, Croatia, 19-21 June 2008, Chair of the Organising Committee
- Sea Level Variations: Towards an Operational European Sea Level Service, Final Workshop of ESEAS-RI project, Split, 5-6 October 2005, Chair of the Organising Committee
- Sea Level in Europe: Observation, Interpretation and Exploitation, Final Workshop of COST40 Action, Dubrovnik, 19-21 September 2001, Organisation Committee member
- Associate Editor/Editor in journals Frontiers in Marine Sciences, Natural Hazards, Pure and Applied Geophysics, Geofizika, Acta Adriatica
- 2005-: UNESCO IOC Intergovernmental Coordination Group for the Tsunami Early Warning and Mitigation System in the North Eastern Atlantic, Mediterranean and Connected Seas (ICG/NEAMTWS), national representative
- 2006-2013: National Commission for the Framework Programme, member
- 2008-2013: National Council for Innovation System, member
- 2011-2013: FP7 Programme Committee for Environment and Climate Change, national expert delegate
- 2011-2013: Scientific Committee for Natural Sciences of the Croatian Science Foundation, member
- 2011-2013: Executive Council of the UNESCO Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC), national representative
- 2011-: European Marine Board, representative of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries
- 2012-2016: Institute for Adriatic Crops and Karstic Reclamation, chair of Governing Board
- 2013-2020: Horizon 2020 Programme Committee member for Societal Challenge 2
- 2013-2016: National Commission for the Framework Programme, chair
- 2013-: Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Council for the Adriatic Sea research, member
- 2014-2016: Croatian Committee on Ethics in Science and Higher Education, member
- 2015-2018: European Network of Research Integrity Offices, delegate
- 2015-2019: BLUEMED Initiative, national delegate
- 2016-2018: Croatian Committee on Ethics in Science and Higher Education, chair
- 2016-: Joint Programming Initiative (JPI) Oceans, national delegate
- 2016-2017: UNESCO Ad Hoc Expert Group (AHEG) for the Declaration on the Ethical Principles in relation to Climate Change, member
- 2020-: EuroGOOS Tide Gauge Task Team, member
- 2020-: European Ocean Observing System (EOOS) Operations Committee, member
- 2020-: JPI Oceans Science for Good Environmental Status (S4GES) Group of Experts, member