Dr. Daniel Mark Lyons
Ruđer Bošković Institute
G. Paliaga 5
2001 Doctoral degree (PhD, Chemistry); National University of Ireland, University College Cork.
- Croatian Science Foundation; NANO-EMC2 - Understanding the physico-chemical behaviour and toxicity of silver, copper and plastic NANOparticles as Emerging Materials of Concern in Coastal waters; PI
- EU FP7 Cooperation; SMART-NANO - Sensitive measurement, detection, and identification of engineered nanoparticles in complex biological and environmental matrices; Principle Investigator, Croatian partner
- Croatian Science Foundation; Development of nanotechnology-based sensors for bio-macromolecules; PI
- Adris Foundation; Development of applied sensors for marine biotoxins; PI
- Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany; Biomineralization processes during embryonic development of marine organisms: gastropods, bivalves and echinoderms; PI
- EU COST Action CA16203 - Stem cells of marine/aquatic invertebrates: from basic research to innovative applications; Management Committee member
- EU COST Action ES1205 - The transfer of engineered nano-materials from wastewater treatment and storm-waters to rivers; Management Committee member and Working Group leader
- EU COST Action TD0903 - Understanding and manipulating enzymatic and proteomic processes in biomineralization: towards new biomimetic strategies, the creation of tailored nano-scale architectures and environmental monitoring; Management Committee member and Work Package leader
Degree course Marine Sciences – University of Pula
Nanotechnology in Marine Research
Trifuoggi, M. et al. Microplastic-induced damage in early embryonal development of sea urchin Sphaerechinus granularis. Environ. Res. 179 (2019) 108815.
Levak, M. et al. Effect of protein corona on silver nanoparticle stabilization and ion release kinetics in artificial seawater. Environ. Sci. Technol. 51 (2017) 1259-1266.
Stipić, F. et al. Antibody-based Donor-Acceptor Spatial Reconfiguration in Decorated Lanthanide-doped Nanoparticle Colloids for the Quantification of Okadaic Acid Biotoxin. Colloid Surf. B 135 (2015) 481-489.
Burić, P. et al. Effect of Silver Nanoparticles on Mediterranean Sea Urchin Embryonal Development is Species Specific and Depends on Moment of First Exposure. Mar. Environ. Res. 111 (2015) 50-59.
Stipić, F. et al. Application of Functionalized Lanthanide-based Nanoparticles for the Detection of Okadaic Acid-Specific Immunoglobulin G. J. Phys. Chem. B 119 (2015) 1259-1264.
Ivančić, I. et al. Phytoplankton and Bacterial Alkaline Phosphatase Activity in the Northern Adriatic Sea. Mar. Environ. Res. 69 (2010) 85-94.
Lyons, D.M. et al. Biomineralization on an Ancient Sculpture of the Apoxyomenos; Effects of a Metal-rich Environment on Crystal Growth in Living Organisms. Cryst. Growth Des. 9 (2009) 3671-3675.
Lyons, D.M. et al. Geostrophic Circulation Patterns in the Northeastern Adriatic Sea and the Effects of Air-Sea Coupling: May-September 2003. J. Geophys Res. 112 (2007) C03S08.
Crowley, T.A. et al. Synthesis of Metal and Metal Oxide Nanowire and Nanotube Arrays within a Mesoporous Silica Template. Chem. Mater. 15 (2003) 3518-3522.
Lyons, D.M. et al. Tailoring the Optical Properties of Silicon Nanowire Arrays Through Strain. Nano Lett. 2 (2002) 811-816.
Membership in professional associations / societies
Member and Chartered Chemist of the Royal Society of Chemistry (CChem MRSC).
Member of the Croatian Chemical Society
Member of the Croatian Toxicological Society