International scientific workshop "Influence of active mines on freshwater ecosystems“
International scientific workshop „Influence of active mines on freshwater ecosystems“ will be held at Ruđer Bošković Institute from May 12 to May 16 2014 in joint organization of:
- Laboratory for biological effects of metals and Laboratory for aquaculture and pathology of aquatic organisms (Division for marine and environmental research, Ruđer Bošković Institute)
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje
- Institute of animal sciences in Skopje
- Université de Pau et des Pays de l'adour/CNRS.
The workshop will be held as a final meeting of three bilateral projects:
- Croatian-Macedonian bilateral project: The assessment of availability and effects of metals on fish in the rivers under the impact of mining activities (project leaders: Dr. Zrinka Dragun and Dr. Maja Jordanova)
- Croatian-Macedonian bilateral project: Bacterial and parasitical communities of chub as indicators of the status of environment exposed to mining activities (project leaders: Dr. Damir Kapetanović and Dr. Rodne Nastova)
- Croatian-french programme "Cogito“: Intracellular mapping of essential and nonessential trace elements in the organs of indigenous fish by NanoSIMS (project leaders: Dr. Zrinka Dragun and Dr. Dirk Schaumlöffel)
At workshop, Macedonian, French and Croatian scientists will present the results of their research on influence of active lead/zinc mines Zletovo and Toranica on river water quality and on bioindicator organism Vardar chub (Squalius vardarensis) in three rivers in north-eastern Macedonia: Bregalnica, Zletovska and Kriva River.
The book of abstracts can be downloaded here: