BIOKATALIZA - BIOCATALYSIS
Our research interest focuses around the application of halohydrin dehalogenases (HHDH) for organic synthesis. In particular, we are interested in biocatalytic epoxide ring-opening reactions using HHDH, Scheme. From the viewpoint of organic chemists, HHDHs are valuable catalysts that can be used for the enantioselective and regioselective syntheses of a wide range of 1,2-difunctionalised chiral compounds.
Current projects on HHDHs involve:
- Synthesis of optically pure fluorine containing building blocks
- Chemoenzymatic synthesis
- Biotransformation with engineered HHDH
- Application of HHDH in organic media
Methods we are using:
- Expression of enzymes
- Organic synthesis
- Chiral analysis (GC/HPLC)
- Process development
- Molecular modelling
Majerić Elenkov, M.; Čičak, M.; Knežević, A.; Smolko, A. , Halohydrin dehalogenase-catalysed transformations of epifluorohydrin, Tetrahedron Lett., 2018, 59, 406-408.
Mikleušević, A.; Primožić, I.; Hrenar, T.; Salopek-Sondi, B.; Tang, L.; Majerić Elenkov, M., Azidolysis of epoxides catalysed by the halohydrin dehalogenase from Arthrobacter sp. AD2 and a mutant with enhanced enantioselectivity: an (S)-selective HHDH, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2016, 27, 930-935.
Mikleušević, A.; Hameršak, Z.; Salopek-Sondi, B.; Tang, L.; Janssen, D. B.; Majerić Elenkov, M., Oxazolidinone Synthesis through Halohydrin Dehalogenase-Catalyzed Dynamic Kinetic Resolution, Adv. Synth. Catal. 2015, 357, 1709-1714.
Majerić Elenkov, M.; Primožič, I.; Hrenar, T.; Smolko, A.; Dokli, I.; Salopek-Sondi, B.; Tang, L., Catalytic activity of halohydrin dehalogenases towards spiroepoxides, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2012, 10, 5063-5072.
Majerić Elenkov, M.; Szymanski, W.; Janssen D. B.; Reactions Catalyzed by Halohydrin Dehalogenases, Science of Synthesis; Biocatalysis in Organic Synthesis 2, Faber, K.; Fessner, W.-D. ; Turner, N. (Eds.), Stuttgart: Georg Thieme Verlag KG, 2014, 507-527.
- Thermoshaker (Thermo Scientific)
- Centrifuge (Thermo Scientific)
- Ultrasonic homogenizer (Badelin)
- GC-FID (Agilent)
- HPLCs (Agilent, Shimadzu, Knauer)
- UV/VIS spectrophotometer (Shimadzu)
- Electrophoresis cell (BIO RAD)
Equipment for organic synthesis:
- All standard equipment for organic synthesis
- Kugelrohr (Büchi)
- Autoclave (Parr)
- Hydrogenation apparatus (atmospheric pressure)
- Refrigerated circulator (Thermo Scientific)