Laboratory for Informatics and Environmental Modelling
The Laboratory is focusing on research in the field of ecological modelling and environmental informatics, and research in the field of biodiversity. The activities are aimed at assessment of natural ecosystems, risk assessment, and sustainable management of natural resources.
Prerequisites for sustainable management of natural resources are: assessment of their current condition, understanding of environmental processes and their correlations and prediction of consequences and risks of human activities in the environment.
The Laboratory for Informatics and Environmental Modelling (LIEM) is improving the knowledge needed for sustainable management. We are achieving this by investigating biodiversity, by gathering and processing information about the environment, by finding and mathematically describing interrelations between processes in the environment and by putting gained knowledge into use through implementation of informatics in the environment.
The mission of our laboratory is contribution to the development of
- models for ecosystem functioning,
- methods for processing, visualization and dissemination of environmental data,
- methods for predicting the impact on environment including aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems,
- biodiversity indicators
and contribution to the knowledge about Croatian and world biodiversity, with focus on bidiversity of fungi.
- Underwater camera, sediment traps, sea-level loggers
- Light optical microscope
- HP cluster of 24 blade processors
- Servers, workstations, notebooks
- HP printers, plotters, scaners, GPS devices