MedPAN project: NaTEF – Nautical Tourism Ecological Footprint in MPAs
Dario Omanović, dr.sc.
+385 1 468 0231
General purpose is to initiate more informed management and decision making of MPAs through increasing knowledge of nautical tourism ecological footprint (NaTEF). This is why the purpose is to design a model of assessing environmental pressures (nautical tourism ecological footprint) and impacts and to conduct a pilot study of copper content in the Krka estuary. The results achieved in this project would help not only the management of this area, but would be applicable to other Mediterranean marine protected areas, especially those in Adriatic.
The above will be achieved by:
1. Monitoring intensity and spatial distribution of maritime traffic.
2. Monitoring of copper content in water of the Krka Mouth.
3. Determination of correlation between copper distribution and number of boats.
4. NaTEF - Nautical Tourism Ecological Footprinting: developing the parameters and indicators for typical use, type and size, and mitigation recommendations (as a standard for other MPAs) in form of guidelines.
5. Informed management and decision-making: knowledge and information transfer to Adriatic MPAs; Relevant ministers informed (environment, tourism, maritime affairs); international community informed through EC, UNEP MAP, AdriaPAN, MedPAN and IUCN channels.